October 17, 2018, 02:09:37 AM

Author Topic: Distorted Travesty  (Read 64563 times)

Description:

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
  • Trailers, reviews, Let's Plays.
    • My youtube channel
Distorted Travesty
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
Distorted Travesty. It's a platormer with RPG mechanics where you run through an assortment of game worlds, there are levels based on Mario, Kirby, Castlevania, and other franchise.

It's made by Dark Yoshi, or ZephyrBurst, or was it Joewhocares? I'm not really certain which i'm supposed to call him. And both it and it's sequel, as well as information on the next installment, can be found at this blog: http://distortedtravesty.blogspot.com/

For more info you can watch this review:

Or inspect these game trailers:

What's more you can find an interview with the author here: http://www.gamerzsnark.com/joewhocares_interview.htm

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:54:07 AM by Sum Gai »

Quitters never win and winners never quit

Oh yeah, I make Let's Plays now. You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Hadriex

Offline Mike Arcade

• The Howlng One
  • (4) Boson
  • Guess who's back! :D
Re: Distorted Travesty
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »
Very impressive! I'm gonna check the games out right now.
If I had a good signature, you'd know it by now.

Offline thefallenalchemist

• (7) Tau
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:12 AM »
I realize this has gone dead, but I'm quite curious as to why greater appreciation hasn't been brought to this game. Sure, it's tough. But the game itself is probably one of the most fun and funny experiences I've had while gaming in a while. Just playing the first game in the series on Veteran offered me the right amount of challenge and the same sort of variety that I'd expect with MKF. The skill tree system is something I wouldn't have expected, as well as the ability to equip items and use power-ups ala potions in the item screen of an RPG.

While leveling up is nothing new; the game makes it worthwhile, because you just can't win against some of these bosses if you're not strong enough. There's also many objects well out of reach that you're going to want to go back and grab later. Not to mention the hidden passageways in the game which lead to objects that you'll definitely need in order to finish. Also, the sense of humor is another thing that kept me playing. When the game says "You actually died 67 times" it wasn't joking, but I was laughing. To tell you the truth, plenty of the sayings on the Game Over screen are quite hilarious.

I have not played the second game in  the series yet, but am enjoying the first. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy that's been playing fan games since before some of you were even born. I even created a few back in the days of MMFe and RM2K when I was 16 years old. I remember the "shitty era" of fan games. You people don't even know how spoiled you are compared to some of the crap I've had to play back in the day.

This is a great series and I recommend it!

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
I've been wondering myself why so few people have tried the series. It really is very good.

The sequel is very different from the first. Oh it's still a platformer, and still hard. But you have no basic attack, only spells. No equips, level-ups, or stat-boosting items. It's actually...   I feel better-designed then the original, but with less to it.

I've been keeping tabs, the third game is well under way btw. I think it'll be larger then first title, with multiple playable characters. Leveling, shops, skill trees,and other mechanics absent in the 2nd game make thier return.

Oh yeah, I make Let's Plays now. You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Hadriex

Offline dsc

• (6) Muon
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
this game is major fun, u fight characters from different games and u meet up with characters from different games, its quite fun

Offline TheomanZero

• Radical Dreamer
  • (18) Atom
  • No offense, JudgeSpear ...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
I might try this, but there are a lot of games I've been meaning to get around to playing for a while.

Offline dsc

• (6) Muon
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:05 PM »
as ppl have said, IT EXTREMELY HARD, not for ppl with short tempers, i've died 759 times, 95% of it is pitfall deaths. the one boss i'm at is extremely hard, because 1 of its attack you cannot dash through.... making it really hard to avoid and it takes about 300 damage per hit, i'm decently lvled up, lvl 40, but like i said, ppl with short tempers avoid this game, otherwise you'll be throwing your pc out the window.

Offline Din

• (8) Neutrino
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
The game is hard and will kick your ass countless times.  But you know what?  You'll love every second of it.

I'm at the final level (on easy mode) and have had some 900 deaths so far.  But trust me, this is a game worth playing.

Also, don't think that this is just another Kaizo game like I Wanna Be the Guy.  The first part of the game is actually really easy, and though you will have a few deaths, nothing insurmountable or assish.  The game's difficulty steadily builds, though.  And by the time you reach Black Rock Fortress... well, it's still fun.

I have yet to beat the final boss, but trust me.  This is a fun game, and I wish this thread would get more attention.

Offline AuraLancer

• The guy that does the thing
  • Fusion Engineer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »
I beat the Dusty Labyrinth but then Skyward Sword came out.  I definitely plan to finish this game though.

I'm playing on normal.

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
I assume when you say 'last boss' you mean the shroud lord. Because that's the hardest boss fight in the game. (He's really, REALLY FREAKING HARD)

But he's not actually the last boss.

The game's got one more area in store for you!

And it is EPIC.

Offline dsc

• (6) Muon
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
i'm talking about the fourth wall crusher boss, his one attack u can't dodge, and it takes alot of health off. You can take his health down easily, dodge his screenshot and bullet attacks but when he uses his power those annoying rings appear, and they are hard to dodge.... also.... are there cheat codes for this? when ever i pressed a certain button *Can't remember which one it is....* It brings up an

Input cheats
If only you knew

does anyone know about this?

Offline Din

• (8) Neutrino
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »
Alright.  I beat the game, tallying at roughly 950 deaths.

I must say, I didn't see THAT coming after the Shroud Lord.  Sure was fun, though (and the fight was a bit more humorous than frustrating.  My head would have exploded if the fight had been harder).

Welp, on to the sequel.

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »
Heh, I peeked in at the author's website, his most recent blog reads:

I did notice activity/discussion about the first game picking up a little on various forums. I'm seeing a lot of traffic from fusionfangaming.

Offline Din

• (8) Neutrino
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
From what I heard on his blog, I think the author is actually a fan of MKF.

Anyway, the sequel.  HOLY MOLY is it more difficult than the first game.  I love it so far, and the feel of the game reminds me a bit more of Mario than the previous game (for obvious reasons).  I'm hooked.

I just started, and I hope to beat this before the author releases the third game.

Also, a quick question.  I didn't see this on his blog.  Is the author planning to bring the RPG elements of the first game back, or is it sticking to the platforming elements of the second game?  Or did he not mention this?

Offline ZephyrBurst

• That Guy
  • (5) Electron
  • Personal... what?
    • Distorted Travesty Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
It's a somewhat rare moment when I join a forum, but here we go.

To answer your questions Din: I am a fan of MKF. Been following it for almost 2 years, though the last time I played it was Oct. 23, 2010. (At least that's what my computer is saying.) I'm a terrible fan. :(

As for you hoping to beat the second one before I release the third... The second is very short compared to the first and the third won't be done for at least another 16 months. On the blog, I have it going for 3rd quarter of 2013, which is simply a guess. The speed I work on it is really inconsistent, since I get super busy with life at times, and then other times, I'll have tons of free time.

The third will have rpg elements back in, just more restricted than the first. The world layout is going to be more of a Metroidvania, which is what I was originally going to do with the first game, but backed out of that near the beginning of its production.
Oh yeah, have fun with those last levels in the second game.

To dcs: The cheat thing that you saw is a way to unlock a few of the debugging functions I have in the game. Any time you're in a save room, press Enter and that dialog box comes up. As for the code, only myself and one other person know what it is.
Too many ponies.

Terra Alternata Visits

anything