December 14, 2017, 06:47:27 AM

Author Topic: G.M.O.S.S.E  (Read 38293 times)

Description:

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
G.M.O.S.S.E
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
G.M.O.S.S.E - the Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine
Currently at MK-IX (30 November, 2016)

(older gameplay screenshots: 1, 2, 3, 4)

Download: Dropbox / Mediafire

I also have the original soundtrack folder that made use of Gleylancer and Crue Ball tunes. If you wish to use that download from here, extract to your GMOSSE folder and select the config file for it from the Audio Options ingame.

For those who aren't familiar with this project, G.M.O.S.S.E stands for "Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine". It's purpose is to serve as a game template for those wanting to make shmups/shoot-em-ups/scrolling shooters/arcade games within Game Maker. It's also geared for performance - Game Maker has a bad stigma for having games where it's all about good graphics and low compatibility, and this template goes against that "norm".

Please provide good feedback if you can, either in the comments on YouTube or here!
And if you just play GMOSSE for the game, enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:39:21 PM by BPzeBanshee »

G.M.O.S.S.E - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine
Currently at MK-IX, updated 30/11/2016

Offline Emerald Master

• The Enjoyment of Creativity!
  • (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
Re: G.M.O.S.S.E
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:55:57 AM »
Hello Fusion Fangaming! :D
Why, hello to you too my good man and welcome to "Fusion Fan Gaming", were players and developers make fan game ideas a reality!  :3

For those who aren't familiar with this project, G.M.O.S.S.E stands for "Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine". It's purpose is to serve as a game template for those wanting to make shmups/shoot-em-ups/scrolling shooters/arcade games within Game Maker. It's also geared for performance - Game Maker has a bad stigma for having games where it's all about good graphics and low compatibility, and this template goes against that "norm" by being thoroughly tested to run fullspeed on a Pentium III legacy PC.
Nicely done there!

I've noticed that the ship select screen's text has a larger depth number than the particles on screen. I'm not trying to make you feel stupid or anything of that nature, but why not set the text's depth number to let's say "-25000" so it'll appear on top of everything that it needs to be on top of? You'll want players to see all the text.

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:51 AM »
The screen text in question actually has a depth of -1 (with the ship titles text at 0) while the stars are at 10. They probably appear to be going over the text due to all forms of text in the game having an alpha transparency of 0.5, so background visuals do show through. I'll probably set it to -9999 anyway in case I decide to use the code for a room in case though, thanks for the advice.

The text shouldn't be difficult to read as it is really, but I'll keep an open mind for changing some stuff with it later on for visibility (I have considered redoing the ship selection menu to include a simulated player ship much like what was in Gleylancer to begin with but I'm not quite certain how I'm going to go about doing it yet).  :)

Offline Emerald Master

• (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:00:24 AM »
The screen text in question actually has a depth of -1 (with the ship titles text at 0) while the stars are at 10. They probably appear to be going over the text due to all forms of text in the game having an alpha transparency of 0.5, so background visuals do show through. I'll probably set it to -9999 anyway in case I decide to use the code for a room in case though, thanks for the advice.

The text shouldn't be difficult to read as it is really, but I'll keep an open mind for changing some stuff with it later on for visibility (I have considered redoing the ship selection menu to include a simulated player ship much like what was in Gleylancer to begin with but I'm not quite certain how I'm going to go about doing it yet).  :)

Not a problem at all for the advice! :) I've been converting from events to working in GML for a few months or a year now, and well, I figured I'd give advice for once since I haven't proven that I'm pretty average with GML yet. But the game looks pretty good still.

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:58:40 AM »
:P Cool. Learning to do everything in GML however silly it might appear at first is actually quite good down the track, especially if you want to get out of Game Maker and do 'proper' programming (which I've yet to do myself). In fact, I wasn't  that great at getting into the GML myself till a few people at the other forum contributed bullet scripts in reponse to someone's topic and I made a "demonstration" GMK of it. That actually became what GMOSSE is now - the problem with that is some of the design choices are based on my lack of knowledge, and now the issue of the HUD has been noticed on another forum due to me setting the alpha to half instead of actually getting the proper dark grey colour I wanted.

Here's hoping we can both learn from this project. :D

Offline Emerald Master

• (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
  So true to what you previously said, but let's try to stay on topic, we don't want this topic closed by being too far off topic. :P Now, about the HUD you mentioned, now I can offer to make you a font for your game, but it would be in the ".fon"/".fnt" file format. I'd love to actually make a font for your source that would make it more arcade-styled, not that I'm saying it does look arcade-styled not , but I want you to make the choice of wanting me to make you a new font or keeping this font for your HUD. If you are wanting some new font(s), I could make some samples.

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:06:41 AM »
Some samples for a new font for GMOSSE would actually be pretty excellent!  :3

Lucida Sans Unicode, what I'm currently using now in nearly all areas of GMOSSE, is a proprietary format that is mainly installed on Windows machines only, so the current GM font file setting is bad for future porting to other platforms in the event that such things become possible with Game Maker. I love the font, but if you could make something similar to replace it respecting its original size while adding a further arcade influence I'd drop LSU for yours in a second! :D

The only issue I could see for the .fnt file format would be that I'd have to somehow convert it to a sprite-based font in order to make sure it works across all computers instead of requiring that the font file be installed, but I've been meaning to do such for a while now (in fact I was given a font from another Game Maker project and some code to muck around with and I haven't touched it yet) and I'm sure there's a program for converting or reading such files and whatnot so yeah.

In other news, some people are having troubles telling the difference between the foreground asteriods that deal damage and the ones in the background. I fail to see how you have issues telling dark greyish brown from bright orange but the sprites are stolen from Gleylancer anyway and I've decided I'll change them to something rock-like I can produce with Universe Image Renderer for consistency. The issue of the HUD text was mentioned at the other forum as well so that's definitely going on my big To-Do list which I'll complete and make public to everyone some time next week when I get back to coding on GMOSSE.

Offline Emerald Master

• (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:07:34 AM »
Here's a some samples;
***THESE FONT SETS ARE NOW PRIVATE!***

If you like any of them and want to use any of them, feel free to ask, I don't mind. The only thing I'd want out of this is credit for the fonts, that'd be it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:43:15 AM by Emerald Master »

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
Wow, they're pretty neat! I'll definitely get back to you when I decide on implementing one of them. Credits shouldn't be an issue, as GMOSSE is a collaboration of many people's efforts to improve on it including yours so regardless expect a mention in MK-VI.  :yes:

Offline Emerald Master

• (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
Wow, they're pretty neat! I'll definitely get back to you when I decide on implementing one of them. Credits shouldn't be an issue, as GMOSSE is a collaboration of many people's efforts to improve on it including yours so regardless expect a mention in MK-VI.  :yes:

Great! But here's one thing I don't know, what is "MK-VI" exactly? This is actually the first time I've seen that name.

Offline TheomanZero

• Radical Dreamer
  • (18) Atom
  • No offense, JudgeSpear ...
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
Great! But here's one thing I don't know, what is "MK-VI" exactly? This is actually the first time I've seen that name.
It means the sixth version.  The current version is MK-V.

Offline Emerald Master

• (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
It means the sixth version.  The current version is MK-V.

Ah, thank you, I do appreciate it.  :)

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 04:56:02 AM »
Okay guys, as I said I would, I've come up with a to-do list based on the feedback I received after releasing MK-V. Note that I have not touched most of these issues just yet but as of now will do so when I get the time. Sorry if it seems like a bit of an info dump.

So, in no particular order, the post-MK-V release To-Do stuff and the current status on them is as follows:

- Fix the highscore submit bug

- Reduce brightness of planet featured in new stage

- Change asteroid sprite/colouring featured in new stage

- Remove alpha transparency from text, modifying colour text and/or change font
Status: The new font offered by Emerald Master is great but I suspect I'm going to have sizing issues with it when replacing the existing font, as a result this may or may not end up being implemented. I'll check this out on the weekend when I have time along with the alpha/color 'issues'.

- Remove use of bomb display from Busterhawk since it doesn't use bombs
Status: Thanks mjclark for that suggestion. Easy fix, will do that this weekend.

- Adjust difficulty of the platform enemy and the jumping enemy
Status: Haven't touched that yet either. Angle difference between bullets of the jumping enemy will be further increased and the platform enemy will only spin the green bullets when 3 of its turrets are destroyed instead of two. Haven't decided yet on other enemies, this will probably be as far as I go for difficulty complaints for the time being.

- Documentation of where sprites from other games/projects etc are not clearly documented
Status: After discussion with other developers in regards to usage of sprites from other games being passed off as their own material, I think documenting exactly how I've come up with the materials for GMOSSE should be written somewhere. Fortunately I've made the majority of the stuff in GMOSSE myself so the actual not-made-by-me material is countable on my hand and therefore easy to have documented and changed to something better when I deem it necessary. Same goes with sounds except they're even easier to list - me, me, me, and Gleylancer.
None of this has started yet.

The existing To-Do list as seen in MK-V's readme is as follows:

x Change the sound engine (not much of a priority now that the issue's mostly solved but an alternative would be nice)
For those unaware I've had issues going back since the original release due to my handling of GMFMODSimple where sounds/music are loaded multiple times and effects are loaded without being unloaded properly resulting in memory leaks and RAM/page file usage increase. This issue has been since solved, but as it stands GMFMODSimple is proprietary and a non-proprietary alternative would be preferred though this won't change for some time.

- INI file config support options
   | Background music volume
   \ more to come, when I figure out what they are
Background music volume should be easy to implement since all background music-related sounds are loaded and assigned to one group specifically, and each group's volume can be modified (4 groups in GMFMODSimple by the way).
- More stages
   | level with patterns making use of Pinwheel engine
   | more Gleylancer stages, with walls (!)
   | External level coding support?
   | Create level progression controller or handling of some kind
   \ more to come, when I figure out what they are
Pinwheel hasn't seen updates or anything relevant to it for quite some time, but hopefully me using it in GMOSSE will change this. I hope to encounter any bugs it might have and report them to the creator of that engine setup and demonstrate yet another way to make bullet patterns.
x WOBBLE SCROLLING
Most of my attempts at doing wobble scrolling have failed miserably. Advice sorely needed here.
x Add more sounds to Invader's bomb
x Find an official name for the Invader if one exists
x put in something ala Rayforce
x redo comments for GMOSSE
x externalise more of the graphics
Getting there, but most small graphics are staying in until I decide otherwise - that said I'd like to try and avoid the source file being too far over 1 MB in size - the last time I had performance issues with the legacy PC and GMOSSE was when the source file was over 1.1 MB and I suspect it may be related to the problems I had earlier.
x add weapon upgrade system
x investigate input recording and playback using external timelines to determine input
Actually I've made some progress in this regard. The issue I'm having now is saving the queues I've used to a file and then creating a queue based on the file again afterwards - I'm sure it's me being an idiot so if any GM expert can pitch in in this regard let me know.
- Music customisation mod ala Alluro's
Self-explanatory. Thanks Kaiser for the idea (we discussed adding additional custom levels to GMOSSE and some small issues came up in regards to where things were placed differently from where you'd expect them to be, specific coding for music was on the top of these things).
x Random ship select and/or integrated unlockable ship functionality
I told Alluro I'd see if I could come up with something like this after stepping on his toes for the unteenth time by asking what the situation with the random ship selection function. The idea is that if you have ships that are unlocked through individual events a variable switch can somehow alter a random generation sequence to ignore certain ship IDs. Currently I haven't touched this yet, this is for a bit of a future release.
- Further renaming of music/sound variables
I started on this, haven't quite finished it yet. Some variables were suspiciously named similar to variable switches and other stuff that's not sound-related - a small spelling error when coding around this could cause serious issues. Still working on this.
x External ship coding support?

Yeah, its a bit of a long list but this is long-term planning as well here for later releases.

Offline Emerald Master

• (3) Photon
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
Well releasing new versions/revisions of a game or program does take a long time, so I'm going to say "take your time" since a game takes a long time anyway. Also, good luck on the list. Just remember, things may get hard, but the more you work at it or on it, the eaiser it'll get! :)

EDIT: If you're wanting the ".fnt"/".fon" font files, all you have to do is ask! :yes:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:14:46 PM by Emerald Master »

Offline BPzeBanshee

• (7) Tau
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:19:50 AM »
Project on hold till further notice.

No, I'm not dropping the project, but schoolwork and crap's catching up and I expect to probably not be able to touch this for a while. I'll let this place know at some stage if and when I fix something significant.

Well releasing new versions/revisions of a game or program does take a long time, so I'm going to say "take your time" since a game takes a long time anyway. Also, good luck on the list. Just remember, things may get hard, but the more you work at it or on it, the eaiser it'll get! :)

EDIT: If you're wanting the ".fnt"/".fon" font files, all you have to do is ask! :yes:
Well-said.  ;)

I suspect there'll be a problem in terms of sizing of the font so I might have to push that back a while. If I do implement it though it'll probably be sprite-based via the picture sheet you gave me earlier. I'll let you know if I require anything else, thanks for your help so far though.  :3

anything