June 17, 2018, 02:39:08 PM

Author Topic: Mario's Nightmare Quest - Updates and Discussion  (Read 42882 times)

Description:

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
Mario's Nightmare Quest - Updates and Discussion
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
So what's the gimmick/concept?  Well basically, Mario gets tricked into some sort of dream world by an as yet unknown villain, and has to figure out a way back out.  It's simple, but it gives me a reason not to include Bowser, the Koopalings or Princess Peach in this game, which should keep it a tad more interesting than just another Mario All Stars clone.  There are also significant crossover aspects to the game, mostly from series like Castlevania, Wario Land 4 and the Legend of Zelda series.

Here are a few graphics previews:

Generic

Specific

Map Sample (last overworld)

So yeah, very early in development at the moment.  Mario will have his sprite replaced by a better version (I'm still not sure what one, especially given how I'm trying to avoid yet another Super Mario Bros 3 style game), the music will be heavily sampled to sound amazing and the custom stuff will be... mostly toned down, like in Super Mario Fusion Revival (Mario End Game put me off Mushroom Kingdom Fusion style excess for life).

Thoughts so far?  And I guess if anyone does have experience with Lunar Magic or SMW mods, the help would be appreciated (especially in the coding and music aspects).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:30:04 PM by Judge Spear »

Offline Cap'n Coconuts

• Boo.
  • Reactor Operator
    • Westboro Watch
Re: Mario's Nightmare Quest; My Third (and likely final) Mario ROM Hack
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
Looking at this makes me wonder what Super Mario World would look like if the developers insisted on using 16 color palettes for tiles. If I recall correctly, a lot of stuff used only 8 colors to save space.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 01:15:02 AM »
Looking at this makes me wonder what Super Mario World would look like if the developers insisted on using 16 color palettes for tiles. If I recall correctly, a lot of stuff used only 8 colors to save space.

Yeah.  A 2D Mario platformer could have looked (and sounded) way better on the SNES than the actual game we got.  Indeed, if Nintendo still made 2D Mario games later in the SNES lifecycle, we might have got something akin to Super Princess Peach in the graphics department (aka just about amazing).

But hey, I guess the simpler graphics did save space.  There's a reason vanilla Super Mario World is less than a megabyte and ROM hacks often take it up to 4MB.   And the game likely was originally a NES game before being 'ported'...

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
Not as if interest is gonna be particularly high, but hey, a few updates:

Currently working on quite a few levels.  Given that level design is not my strong point (graphics ripping is probably closest to that), this may take a while.

I'm planning on adding a few enemies inspired by those used in Mario Fusion Revival and Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, because hey, I've never see a Mario World hack with any of them.  These include the soldiers, zombies and certain other enemies from the Metal Slug series, those banshee things from Castlevania used in those horror levels in Mario Fusion Revival's world 4 and a few others.  Hopefully they'll work well alongside the likes of the Tough Possessor, Recapitators, Antasma and other modern Nintendo villains and enemies.

I'm still having trouble finding good grass graphics for normal levels, ideally ones that go well with this background:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=2518

I tried Mario All Stars tiles, but they look kind of bland.  I tried Super Mario Bros X and Mario Fan Games Galaxy tilesets, but they look even more bland.  I've already used the best tileset ever for the intro level, so I'd rather not reuse it for dream world levels to avoid making things confusing.  Any ideas?

Sorry for the lack of screens though.  I'm trying to avoid my showcase topics on various sites becoming  'look what cool graphics I ripped today' threads so am waiting til more levels are actually designed before showing anything off.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 04:22:42 AM »
Some updates I should have posted earlier:

The Clocktower from Symphony of the Night is now a level...

Yellow Switch.  Graphics by some guy on Mario Fan Games Galaxy.

Desert area.  Probably the most 'vanilla' area in the game at present.

Also, forgot these:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:26:30 AM by CM30 »

Offline Judge Spear

• Reactor Operator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
These screens look fantastic. I tried my hand at Lunar Magic a while ago, but I just could not get the hang of it, especially when it came to adding my own graphics. Would it be okay if we requested some of your tiles and background graphics at a time when we may need them? I will give this one a try when it is finished.

Yeah, this is why the first Sonic absolutely trumped Super Mario World at the time when the SNES came out, even taking to account that the 16-bit Sega console has had 2 years head start and the the first wave of SNES games was just coming out. This would lead to Sega being the industry leader for Christmas season 1991 up until mid 1992, when the SNES started to get the really good games, especially Street Fighter II, which was a sensation at the time. The closest we got to a richly-colored 16-bit Super Mario game was Super Mario All-Stars, especially the revamped graphics of SMB1 and SMB2.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:40:10 AM by Judge Spear »

Fusion Gameworks is now an independent game developer. We have moved on from making fangames, and as such, we will no longer provide support for our older fangames.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
These screens look fantastic. I tried my hand at Lunar Magic a while ago, but I just could not get the hang of it, especially when it came to adding my own graphics. Would it be okay if we requested some of your tiles and background graphics at a time when we may need them? I will give this one a try when it is finished.

Yeah, this is why the first Sonic absolutely trumped Super Mario World at the time when the SNES came out, even taking to account that the 16-bit Sega console has had 2 years head start and the the first wave of SNES games was just coming out. This would lead to Sega being the industry leader for Christmas season 1991 up until mid 1992, when the SNES started to get the really good games, especially Street Fighter II, which was a sensation at the time. The closest we got to a richly-colored 16-bit Super Mario game was Super Mario All-Stars, especially the revamped graphics of SMB1 and SMB2.

Of course you can request the graphics.  I give them away to just about anyone who wants them, Mario ROM hackers or otherwise.  I also rip gfx on request, if anyone needs that.  For instance, I also ripped these tiles for someone else's game:

and these for the hell of it:

If you need any tiles ripped for any purpose, or want to use anything, just ask and I'll provide it in sprite sheet format.  If I was any good at Game Maker, I'd add the GFX to either MKF or SMFR myself too (on request), but I'm not.

But could you do me a favour?  You see, one of the enemies I wanted for this game was based on the Banshee/Onryo from Mario Fusion Revival.  You know, this one:

But while I found the gfx on Spriter's Resource and have someone willing to code the enemy, I have to admit I've been having trouble turning the jigsaw piece type mess of tiles in the original sprite sheet into animation frames.  So could you send the sprites used for it in Mario Fusion Revival, the ones used when it stands still and chases Mario?

It would have helped enormously if Nintendo had released a Super Mario World sequel for the SNES in the gameplay style of the original. Cause SMW was for the most part, a held back NES game turned into a launch title after a fairly hasty release, and at a time where people were still getting used to the SNES and its technology. A new game released around the time of say, Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island probably would have looked a fair bit like my screenshots.  Heck, just look at Wario Land 4 or Super Princess Peach.  I think that's what a Super Mario World sequel would have looked like (art style wise).

But you're right, SMW did look rather archaic compared to Sonic and his games.  Which was a bit of a shame, given how much more detailed the graphics usable on a SNES were compared to those on a Genesis/Mega Drive. It could and should have looked better, and the fact it didn't was kind of disappointing.

Finally, some more old pictures I had of the game:

Offline EvilMariobot

• WE ARE NINTENDO! WE CHALLENGE ALL PLAYERS! YOU CANNOT BEAT US!
  • Safety Inspector
  • Well, that was fun!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »
The closest we got to a richly-colored 16-bit Super Mario game was Super Mario All-Stars, especially the revamped graphics of SMB1 and SMB2.
All-Stars are popular tilesets for romhackers and SMBX designers to use. Also, there's IceGoomba's tiles.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:27 AM »
The closest we got to a richly-colored 16-bit Super Mario game was Super Mario All-Stars, especially the revamped graphics of SMB1 and SMB2.
All-Stars are popular tilesets for romhackers and SMBX designers to use. Also, there's IceGoomba's tiles.

IceGoomba?  You mean Icegoom and Super Mario World Redrawn?

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5914

Also, if anyone knows a decent spriter capable of drawing some boss graphics, tell them I'm willing to work with them.  Cause for obvious reasons, bosses like Earthwake, the Tough Possessor and various others from recent Mario games have no sprites found of them online, and it'd be nice if a professional spriter could draw some of them in a 16 bit art style.  Same with Ashley for WarioWare, at least when it comes to combat sprites/graphics.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
Very minor updates:

There's also now some custom music and sprites/enemies/gimmicks added. The former is absolutely incredible, thanks to the magic of samples.

Offline TheomanZero

• Radical Dreamer
  • (18) Atom
  • No offense, JudgeSpear ...
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:06:24 PM »

Those big mushrooms look like they need to be touched up, but otherwise this looks promising.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »

Those big mushrooms look like they need to be touched up, but otherwise this looks promising.

Yeah.  Unfortunately, that's where I'm not gonna be able to do much, since I don't draw original art, I rip graphics from other games and sprite sheets.  And the person who made them (someone at Super Mario Bros X.org) had a bit of an off day with some of their tiles.

Thanks anyway though!  There is some pretty cool stuff still to show, at a later time.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
Mega long overdue update:

Bonus points for anyone who gets the context for absolutely any of this stuff.

In other words, I'll warn you, this game has some potentially controversial levels in terms of themes...  That's not a joke, I mean controversial even potentially by Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and Super Mario Fusion Revival standards.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:11 AM »
So yeah, a few nice updates:

Level 1:

Arabian Night:

Aftermath:

The former is just a grass land level, Arabian Night the desert ghost house equivalent and Aftermath a postapocalyptic Mario level.  Graphics from Mario Fan Games Galaxy, Sutte Hakken, Wario Land 4 and someone's Jazz Jackrabbit custom tileset.

Offline CM30

• Talk Nintendo
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
Updates:

Level 2:

Chomp Volcano

Military Nightmare (thanks to JudgeSpear/ Offline Ograoum Papas for the tilesets)

Terra Alternata Visits