February 23, 2017, 03:04:41 PM

Author Topic: Sprites/Art WIP topic  (Read 7372 times)

Description:

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
Sprites/Art WIP topic
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
There's a topic like this on MFGG. Post screenshots/pictures of stuff you're working on, be it actual art-y stuff, concept art for games, or spritework.

To get the ball rolling, I'll just post what I posted in MFGG, albeit with a slight update: General Guy's brand-spankin' new tank!!!!!11one!!

The cannon will rotate towards the direction of the player before shooting, the tall exhaust pipe thing shoots fireballs, the light bulb shoots lightning, and General Guy himself occasionally pops up to throw bombs that the player can toss back.

This is the new disclaimer screen for chapter 2 of Super Mario Bros Odyssey:

I found manual scans of SMB2 and traced over them in paint, coloring them shading them later. This is the result.

So yeah feel free to post stuff! :P

C:

These are my Smashers of choice:

You can find me on:

Offline AuraLancer

• The guy that does the thing
  • Fusion Engineer
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Sprites/Art WIP topic
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
Heh, I was about to ask when the veggie pulling artwork from SMB got pixellized but then I continued reading your post

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
MEGAMAN BUMP

Show and tell time!

+Finished Teenage Flame's new "base" sprites. Gave him newer, bigger wings, changed his Fengoriyan Scar, changed the color of eye that the scar is on, and gave him Fengoriyan Scars on his chest as well. Also edited how his "facing forward" sprite looks. In general, tried to make him look a little more tough or intimidating.

+Updated Teenage Crystal. Her hair is now down instead of in a ponytail, and slightly changed her eye color. Thinking about giving her more eyelashes. Still need to update her child sprites.

+(*spoiler*) Updated Flame's twin brother Ash's "Demon form" sprites to make him look more sinister, yet almost holy (it plays a role in the story). The top spike on his head was removed. His right eye is completely whited out, save for the blood in a few spots of the same eye. Also added a unique Fengoriyan Scar to the same eye. Its color also plays a role in his story. The slash on his chest is supposed to be a stab wound, but I can't pixel that well XP His left arm has another Fengoriyan Scar, that stretches up his neck and onto the back of his head a bit. Also gave him horns and a halo.

+99% of the WEPON were made from ZILTCH. NO Body Designed a couple of the blades though, but all "handles" or "hilts" (whatever they're called) and otherwise were pixel'd by me. The giant scythe-ax-staff-hybrid is the primary weapon of one of the antagonists.

+The coat of arms/nation symbols/things/whatever represent the Fengoriyan and Minerian Empires respectively. The fire is fire and the sparkle is sparkle (I don't know, I just made them while thinking =P)

+Demon's Insignia is what the Dragons use to represent the demonic hordes. The Crest of the gods is the religious symbol that represents the gods (namely Fen-Gor, who sacrificed his life as a god and ruler of the demons to fight for Dragon-kind when Vultron betrayed his brothers) who created and watch over the earth.

+The "Big freaking glowy thing" is a sort of...glowy... thing. Kinda tough to put into words :awesome: If you look at Vultron's "Facade", you'll see he has one behind him. The gods each have a "glowy thing" (I'm just gonna call them halos too lol whatever I don't know what to call them hahahahahahahahdfsjgbdhgnbrhynnfgl C: ) behind them. It's sorta like a proof of divinity I guess.

That's all for now I suppose
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:04:09 PM by smbmaster99 »

C:

You can find me on:

Offline RaymanFan1995

• Limbless Hero
  • (8) Neutrino
  • Play 'til you die.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
This is part of a project my brother, Somari64, and I started a couple days ago. It's basically the graphics from Frogger: He's Back! for the PS1/PC, remade into the style of the original arcade title. Now, note that I say it's in the STYLE of the arcade game; as far as colors go, Somari had to go outside the arcade game's color palette to make some of these.

Somari made this sheet himself; I'm working on a few of the zones myself.

Frogger, the Baby Frogs, and Retro Zone:

Critiques would be nice! Just don't be too harsh; we're not experts.
I support:

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
MFGG's having a Halloween contest, so I doodled some pixels (WARNING: image contains blood and gore):

(click to show/hide)

"Box-Head Bowser" and Shyguys were made completely from scratch. A few of the blood designs on the walls came from the Chzo Mythos games, and Strikeforcer did the dead Toads you see here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:01:21 PM by smbmaster99 »

C:

You can find me on:

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
Bump again, almost forgot about this topic XP

I just posted this on MFGG yesterday evening and figured I'd share here as well

I redesigned my character Flame Sanders once more, and now he feels more complete. I included previous versions of his sprites. The spoiler is a list of things I've changed or plan or think to do.
(click to show/hide)

I haven't worked on this sheet as much as I would have liked. Christmas came and now I have games =P However, I do have a fairly large amount of new stuff to show since my last big post regarding character and weapon designs- I've even updated some of the weapons to more original designs lololol. I hope to post this before too long.

C:

You can find me on:

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
  • Trailers, reviews, Let's Plays.
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
I like the idea of a pants wearing dragon. Flame Sanders reminds me of something No Body had made.

I'm currently working on a spritesheet and I'm having a lot of trouble with the walk cycle.

It is an MKF Link skin, so if you drop it into MKF you can see how it looks in motion. Something is wrong with this walk cycle. Any help, even just putting your finger on whish frames and exactly what the problem is would be much, much appreciated.
Quitters never win and winners never quit

Oh yeah, I make Let's Plays now. You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Hadriex

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
I'm not too good at critiquing sprites, but just from watching it animate I can tell you right off the bat his movement is a bit stiff. He never bobs up and down and his arms swinging back and forth looks kinda weird. Also his foot in the second frame is flat, and while you can't really tell during the animation, holding your foot flat in the air while walking is unnatural, unless you're marching =P

And thanks for the feedback. Flame's sprites are actually turbo edits of NO Body's dragon sprite. Speaking of which, I've actually got more sprites I posted on my DA forever ago that I completely forgot to share here :awesome:

I've finished Blaze and Ellie Sanders' designs, as well as Ash's normal form. Designed some coins for currency and what I call Soul Gems, which act as currency for upgrades and health and magic replenishing and other misc. stuff.

Added Selena and Feri's sprites. Selena might need more work IDK. Feri is a rookie soldier, so I tried to make him look a bit tougher than the rest. His arms are slightly bigger and his height is about a pixel or two taller than Flame to aid in this.

Gohlkon is a demon-priest. His weapon is the scythe-staff hybrid on the far right. Although he has an alt on the right, I'm confident I'll use the one on the left. I have a few angel designs but they're bad HELP ME. I also updated Ash's fallen sprites as well.

Vultron has received yet another update, and possibly his last. I made him much taller, since after Flame's recent update, he became too short :P I gave the first 3 swords an update to look more original and fantasy-y. The white one is a sword used by Angels and other holy creatures, the gold sword is a holy blade only the god of gods can hold (or you can think of it as my own take on The Master Sword), and the giant black sword is Vultron's personal weapon that used to be divine until he corrupted it.

I also added a new black sword and a gun-lance on the right. The magic things are things. That's all I have :P

C:

You can find me on:

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
Thanks. I'll see if I can get him bobbing and fix that foot, then see if that helps.

I miss NO Body. I didn't even realize how much until I saw your dragons.

Are you making an RPG?

Oh yeah, I make Let's Plays now. You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Hadriex

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »
Well I'm not working on it now, but I've got several rtf files on my desktop with ideas and stuff for when I pick it up. I don't know if you were around at the time, but way back in the day, I was working on a game I called Flame the Dragon, which was, at the time, a Zelda-esque fangame with my own characters. I canned it after I realized I was rushing the project and how poor and unoriginal it was in its current state. I decided to turn it into an original work with much better gameplay and a far better story.

Currently, I'm planning for it to be a mix of Hack N' Slash and RPG genres, with some platforming thrown in. It's going to be renamed to be more original and follows Flame and his twin brother Ash, who are cambion dragons, and their friends in their quest to prevent the return of Vultron the Devil-god.

C:

You can find me on:

Offline Sum Gai

• Safety Inspector
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
I do remember flame the dragon. I'm afraid I didn't remember that it was you who was making it. But I do remember the project.

Glad to hear you didn't simply give up but instead chose to carefully rework it.

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
This is what I'm working on currently:

large image warning
(click to show/hide)

Now have a wall of text :P

(click to show/hide)

C:

You can find me on:

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
SUPER BUMP BROS TURBO KART WII LAND GALAXY SUNSHINE GOLF KART WORLD TOUR SUPERSTAR SAGA HD REMIX 2 FEATURING DANTE FROM DEVIL MAY CRY & KNUCKLES & KNUCKLES 7.5/10 TOO MUCH WATER -IGN OMEGA RUBY ALPHA SAPPHIRE X AND Y EDITION

Several of these I've posted in the shoutbox, but they probably fit better here:

First, overworld animations for Braixen in my Lucario fangame:
(click to show/hide)

Fennekin mugshots

Braixen mugshots

Greninja mugshots

Mockup of how the sprites look in-game

The primary protagonist of the fangame (large image):
(click to show/hide)

^first drawing made in GIMP since 2012-2013-ish xP I'm pretty pleased with it

Another protagonist of my Lucario fangame (still a WIP. Feedback would be the icing on the birthday cake :P):
(click to show/hide)

JSYK I'm aware of a few graphical hiccups here, such as overlapping outlines. I haven't applied color yet, so until then, they're visible :P I feel something's not right with her hips/legs/"skirt". Do y'all think she'd look better with her eyes open?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:20:14 PM by smbmaster99 »

C:

You can find me on:

Offline ScoopJohn

• The guy who likes the gold side of MFGG
  • (4) Boson
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »
I was working on something for a fangame of a game jam website, and one of a sudden i made these sprites:

The character is Flerppy from Teh Forum Game by Jonny Smeby and i tried spriting this forever until i got to a "not bad" result, because i love this character.
I put a lot of effort into this and this may be a real masterpiece for me.
If you don't know about teh forum game, search it up on google, i'm sure none of you knows about this, it's a obscure indie collab game.

Offline smbmaster99

• Notable Intern
  • Sexy hips
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »
Looks like a Homestar Runner character c:

After my break from pixely things, I've finally finished Greninja's overworld movement animations:

I also finished the WIP drawing of Braixen from earlier:
(click to show/hide)

C:

You can find me on:

Terra Alternata Visits